Contribution Terms of Service
When you upload material to Alternative Toronto, the following terms and conditions apply:
1. What is Alternative Toronto?
1.1 Alternative Toronto is a non-commercial and non-profit web-based digital archive (currently available at www.alternativetoronto.ca), comprising individuals working for or on behalf of the archive, and includes, for the purposes of these terms and conditions, any associated social media platforms (such as Alternative Toronto’s Facebook and Twitter pages).
2. Purpose of Alternative Toronto
2.1 You recognise that the purpose of Alternative Toronto is to provide online users with access to material documenting the history of Toronto’s alternative communities, spaces and cultures between 1980 and 1995 for the purposes of non-commercial research, private study, education, criticism and review.
3. Material that can be displayed on Alternative Toronto
3.1 In pursuance of Alternative Toronto’s stated purpose, you can upload digital versions of historical material relating to the city of Toronto between 1980 and 1995, such as print material, audio recordings and video recordings, subject to section 4 below.
4. Material that cannot be displayed on Alternative Toronto
4.1 Certain material cannot be displayed on Alternative Toronto for copyright reasons and we therefore ask that the following not be uploaded without clear permission from all relevant copyright owners, representatives and/or licensees:
- Recordings of musical works that you know or have reason to believe have been made available commercially and continue to be commercially available or for which a commercial licence can be reasonably obtained;
- Widely-distributed commercial films, either in whole or in part;
- Radio or television broadcasts, either in whole or in part;
- Articles, photographs or artworks that you know or have reason to believe were made available as part of a commercial publication and for which a commercial licence can be reasonably obtained;
- Complete books, complete issues of magazines or newspapers and similar material in complete format (reasonable excerpts, however, are acceptable);
4.2 If you have material that falls into the above list that you think might be of particular benefit to Alternative Toronto, and is in keeping with its stated purpose, we ask that you contact us at email@example.com and we can investigate obtaining an appropriate copyright licence to display said material.
4.3 The following material is not acceptable for upload under any circumstances:
- Material that is clearly confidential in nature;
- Material the publication of which would contravene Canadian criminal laws;
- Material that you know or have reason to believe is defamatory towards another person;
- Material that has been altered in a way that could be detrimental to the original creator of the material.
4.5 Alternative Toronto maintains the right to reject any submission for upload based on the above criteria, or on any other reasonable basis.
4.6 Upon receipt of a genuine (or apparently genuine) claim that material on Alternative Toronto is infringing copyright or violating another legal requirement, Alternative Toronto will remove the material immediately and, if required, will contact the uploader of said material in order to further examine the situation.
4.4 Alternative Toronto will only display low-resolution versions and/or extracts of the following types of material: images, scanned texts, sound recordings and video or film recordings. As a result, the material made available on Alternative Toronto will never replicate the original material.
5. If you own the copyright in the material
5.1 If you own the copyright in the material you are uploading, you agree to allow Alternative Toronto to make whatever use is deemed necessary of that material, pursuant to Alternative Toronto’s stated purpose, and to reformat and adjust it as necessary, in perpetuity and in all media formats.
5.2. You will also allow other users of Alternative Toronto to make use of the material for the purposes of non-commercial research, private study, education, criticism or review under the terms of a CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 Creative Commons Licence, including to make the work available through social media.
6. If you do not own the copyright in the material
6.1 If you do not own the copyright in the material you are uploading, you will include in the contribution form all copyright information and other relevant information related to the material, to the best of your knowledge.
7.1 By uploading material to Alternative Toronto, you guarantee that the material is acceptable pursuant to the present terms and conditions.
7.2 You will also hold harmless Alternative Toronto for any errors, omissions or misstatements that you make in submitting or describing material that you upload to Alternative Toronto.
8. Modification of terms
8.1 Alternative Toronto reserves the right to modify the present terms and conditions in keeping with Alternative Toronto’s stated purpose and, as an uploader of material to Alternative Toronto, you agree to be bound by any and all such modified terms and conditions.
9. Applicable laws
9.1 Alternative Toronto is operated out of the Province of Ontario, Canada, with its digital material being stored on servers in the Province of Quebec. Any activities relating to Alternative Toronto will be governed by the laws of Ontario, Canada.